NMFS Announces Public EIS Scoping Meetings for Oil and Gas in Arctic Ocean
Click here to read NMFS's February 24th Federal Register notice
The U.S. National Marine Fisheries Service has announced its intent to prepare an environmental
impact statement on the effects of oil and gas activities (e.g., seismic surveys and exploratory drilling) in the Arctic Ocean (U.S. Chukchi and Beaufort Seas).
On February 24, 2010, NMFS published Federal Register notice of five additional public scoping meetings for this EIS. Combined with three already scheduled meetings, the meeting dates, times, and locations are
(1) February 18, 2010, 6 - 8 p.m., Northwest Arctic Borough
Assembly Chambers, Kotzebue, Alaska;
All comments on this EIS scoping must be received by NMFS no later than April 9, 2010.
Click here to read NMFS's February 8th Federal Register notice
(2) February 19, 2010, 5 - 7 p.m., Point Hope Community Center,
Point Hope, Alaska;
(3) February 22, 2010, 7 - 9 p.m., Point Lay Community Center,
Point Lay, Alaska
(4) March 9, 2010, 7 - 9 p.m., Wainwright Community Center,
(5) March 10, 2010, 7:30 - 9:30 p.m., Inupiat Heritage Center,
(6) March 11, 2010, 7 - 9 p.m., Nuiqsut Community Center, Nuiqsut,
(7) March 12, 2010, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m., Kaktovik Community Center,
Kaktovik, Alaska; and
(8) March 23, 2010, 7 - 9 p.m., Egan Center, 555 West Fifth Avenue,
Anchorage, Alaska 99501.