The International Maritime Organization adopted guidelines to reduce underwater noise from commercial ships
The new guidelines:
– recognize that shipping noise may have short-term and long-term impacts on marine life;
– call for measurement of shipping noise according to objective ISO standards, which are themselves on the verge of adoption;
– identify computational models for determining effective quieting measures;
– provide guidance for designing quieter ships and for reducing noise from existing ships, especially from propeller cavitation; and
– advise owners and operators on how to minimize noise through ship operations and maintenance, such as by polishing ship propellers to remove fouling and surface roughness.
Click here to read article about these guidelines.